Are you a member of The Senior Section aged 14-18 and keen to work on your leadership skills? Then get started on your Young Leader qualification and take an active part in running a Rainbow, Brownie or Guide unit.
Why should I get involved?
This is a great way to boost your CV and build on your communication skills while helping your local unit leadership team.
There are six practical modules to work through, which are completed at the same time as volunteering with a unit.
- Module 1: GO and sectional training – focuses on the Girlguiding membership system (GO) and learning more about the section you are working with.
- Module 2: Leadership – looks at different leadership styles and when you should use them, for example with girls of different ages.
- Module 3: Planning – allows you to demonstrate how well you understand the programme for the section you volunteer with. It will help you to make sure that the programme is right for the range of ages and abilities in your unit, that all girls take part in planning the programme, and the activities are enjoyable for the girls.
- Module 4: Working with girls – allows you to demonstrate that you understand the girls you work with and can provide the best opportunities for them to grow and develop.
- Module 5: Local guiding – looks at the structure of Girlguiding in your local area and how you are supported within this.
- Module 6: Your role in Girlguiding – is about you showing that you understand the Promise and Law, and your commitment to Girlguiding.
Talk to your leader or your local commissioner to see if there are units in your area that you could support to get started. Find out more and download the Young leader qualification workbook here.