Are you ready to get out and about and stretch your legs? We are delighted to let you know that our level 2 walking training and assessment weekend is back for 2022.
When: 5.30pm, Friday 30 September – 3pm, Sunday 2 October 2022
Where: Bonaly Scout Centre, 71 Bonaly Scout Centre, Edinburgh, EH13 0PB
Who is it for?
This training is open to all members of Girlguiding aged 18+ who would like to:
- Extend their walking skills and improve navigation techniques
- Those with some hill walking experience wanting to learn how to lead Guiding groups safely in the hills
- Work towards gaining a qualification having done DofE or Queen’s Guide expeditions
- Move to Level 2 after completing Level 1
To start at Level 2 you should have undertaken six walks in any type of country of which:
- One should have been at least 6 km or 4 miles
- Three should have taken place in the last three years
- Two walks should have been in open country
There is also an assessment course for Level 2 for those who have completed the training and gained the necessary experience.
What will the weekend involve?
The training will cover the main topics of the practical and theoretical sessions of the walking scheme, including:
- Route planning
- Navigational techniques
- Group management
- Hazards and risk assessment
- Day, micro and low visibility navigation
This course can be adapted to cover other aspects to suit particular needs, however it will involve some intense physical activities and being out in all weather conditions.
Accommodation is in bunks, and you will need to bring towels, sleeping bag, pillow case and slippers. No outdoor shoes are allowed inside. You can arrive from 5.30pm on Friday evening, supper will be at 7pm and the course starts at 8pm.
Please note, you must be willing to follow any Covid-19 measurements put in place to protect all attending.
Once you have booked your place you will receive further information in due course about the training and what to bring. Some outdoor equipment is available to borrow. If you have any particular queries about the course, please email Gillian on
You can book your spot below, and you can pay via BACs or card. You will then receive a confirmation email with a link to provide the further information.
- Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis and the event may sell out prior to the deadline
- If you chose to pay by BACs then payment must be made within 2 weeks
- Please complete the booking form by Monday 19 September
- The full fee of £80 does not include travel to and from the event