What is Own Our Zone?
We envision a Scotland where girls and young women feel safe and are welcome outside and in public spaces during the day and night. Where they are not at threat from violence and where they can fully participate in outdoor activities as equal members of society. We want transformative community planning, understanding that public spaces must be co-designed by and for girls and young women. We want girls and young women to be able to own their zone.
Through the Own Our Zone campaign we are seeking to create tangible change, help empower girls to reach their full potential and find their voice outside.
What is Action Week?
On Monday we will be launching our Week of Action for you to take part by showing your MSP, council or other decision makers what needs to change in the local area. This is our chance to come together as Girlguiding members across Scotland to raise our voice and tell decision makers what matters to us! Here’s 3 ways to get involved.
1. Join our #PictureProtest
Help us take social media by storm and spread the word of our Own Our Zone campaign through our Picture Protest. We want to see pictures of your local areas that you feel could be made safer for everyone, whether it’s more bins for litter, more street lights or more play equipment. Own Our Zone seeks to create tangible change and we want to demonstrate the reach and impact of our campaign to decision makers through your posts so make sure to use #PictureProtest and tag us @GirlguidingScot!
How to take part on Instagram and Facebook
- Add your own to our reels or stories- Starting on Monday 25 September throughout action week we will be posting reels and stories with the ‘add yours’ sticker so you can hop on the trend and show us the public spaces you want to be made safer. Simply tap the ‘add yours’ sticker when viewing our ‘How to get involved in action week’ stories or reel to upload your own Picture Protest. We have also created a Picture Protest sticker, to add it to your stories and reels tap the sticker icon and search @girlguidingscotland.
- If you are adding a story, take a photo or video, or select one from your camera roll, edit it to add our Picture Protest sticker and tell us what you’d like to see changed, making sure to tag us @GirlguidingScot and use #PictureProtest. Once you are happy share it to your story!
- If you are adding to a reel, take a photo or video, or add one from your camera roll, edit to add our Picture Protest sticker and tell us what you’d like to see changed in the video or caption. Make sure to use #PictureProtest and tag us @GirlguidingScot in the caption. Once it’s ready go ahead and hit share!
- You could also share a photo to your grid and tell us in the caption what you would like to see changed. Make use #PictureProtest and tag us @GirlguidingScot.
How to take part on X (Twitter)
- Upload a picture of your local area that you feel could be made safer and tell us in the caption what changes you’d like to see. Make sure to use #PictureProtest and tag us @GirlguidingScot. Why not tag your local MSP or council to help spread the word!
- Share our ‘I support the Own Our Zone’ graphic that is pinned to our profile and tell us why the campaign is important to you. Remember to use the #OwnOurZone and tag us @GirlguidingScot
2. Share your support for the campaign on social media
Throughout action week we’ll be sharing content on our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter including interviews by our Speak Out champions with organisations and policy makers who are working on this issue. You can help us raise awareness and spread the word by liking and sharing.
3. Write a Letter to your MSP
Check out page 20 of our challenge pack to see how you can get in touch with your MSP to help create change!
Remember to keep in touch! We’d love to see what you get up to – tag us @GirlguidingScot and get in touch my emailing email@example.com