Who is it for?
This training is for any adult Leader who would like to:
- extend their walking skills and improve navigation techniques
- learn how to lead groups safely in the hills
- work towards gaining a qualification having done DofE or Queen’s Guide expeditions
- move to Level 2 after completing Level 1
To start at Level 2 you should have undertaken six walks of which:
- one should have been at least 6 km or 4 miles
- three should have taken place in the last three years
- one or more walks in open country would be an advantage
There is also an assessment course for Level 2 for those who have completed the training and gained the necessary experience.
What will the weekend involve?
The training will cover the main topics of the practical and theoretical sessions of the walking scheme, including:
- Route planning
- Navigational techniques
- Group management
- Hazards and risk assessment
- Day, micro and low visibility navigation
This course can be adapted to cover other aspects to suit particular needs. It will involve some intense physical activities and being out in all weather conditions.
Accommodation is in bunks, so please bring a lower sheet, pillow case and a sleeping bag or duvet. Some outdoor equipment is available to borrow.
Please fill in the booking form and send, along with the £20 deposit to Rachel Thomas (following instructions on form) by 25 September 2017.