Dig out your walking boots because it’s go time! Don’t miss out and sign up now for the training or assessment part of our next Walking Weekend event in April.
Who can come?
This training weekend is open to all members aged 18+ who are keen to:
- Expand their walking skills and improve navigation techniques
- Work towards gaining a qualification having done DofE or Queen’s Guide expeditions
- Move up to Level 2 after completing Level 1
- Or those with some hill walking experience who want to learn how to lead guiding groups safely in the hills
What to expect…
The training will cover the main topics of the practical and theoretical sessions of the walking scheme, like:
- Route planning
- Navigational techniques
- Group management
- Hazards and risk assessment
- Day, micro and low visibility navigation
Please note: There’s also an assessment course for Level 2 for those who have completed the training and gained the necessary experience. Please make it clear on the booking form which part of the weekend you’d like to take part in, the assessment or the training.
To start at Level 2 you should have undertaken six walks where:
- One of them was at least 6 km or 4 miles
- Three should have taken place in the last three years
- Also, one or more walks in open country would be an advantage
Accommodation is in bunks, and you’ll need to bring a lower sheet, pillow case and a sleeping bag or duvet. There will be some outdoor equipment available to borrow.
The cost of this weekend is £80 which covers your meals, accommodation but excludes travel.
This course can be adapted to cover other aspects or suit someone’s particular needs, however it will involve some intense physical activities and being out in all weather conditions so please take the appropriate weather proof clothing with you as we as good quality walking boots.
Please complete the booking form and send it to Rachel here at Girlguiding Scotland HQ (as per the instructions on the booking form), along with the £30 deposit by 20 March 2020.